the [alternate] patriot


 

Monday, November 17, 2008

Bush's 'dark legacy'

 
This excerpt from Harper's Magazine...


the American press has been filled with drip after drip from smug, generally anonymous Bush Administration clones who promise that when Barack Obama is saddled with the responsibilities of government he will “get real” about the threats presented by terrorists at Guantánamo and will tack away from his promise to shut the infamous prison camp down


quotes President-elect Obama's response, in a 60 Minutes interview 11/16/08:

I have said repeatedly that I intend to close Guantanamo, and I will follow through on that. I have said repeatedly that America doesn’t torture, and I’m going to make sure that we don’t torture. Those are part and parcel of an effort to regain America’s moral stature in the world.



That's the kind of change I hope for - a new administration that is more rational and more humane -- and a lot more honest.


Comments: Post a Comment

Copyright © 2001-03 Pam Shorey
(except the specific sources credited in quotes)